Leesburg & Winchester Attorneys Serving Loudoun County
Rely on our Experience in Criminal Defense, DUI, Personal Injury, Employment Law, Business Law, Civil Litigation, Non-Profit Law, Church Law & more
Not all legal cases are identical. The same goes for lawyers. Each of the Leesburg attorneys at Simms Showers LLP brings a distinct focus to our legal practice. As our client, you’ll find we raise the bar to deliver effective, aggressive and results-oriented advocacy. Our combined talent allows us to represent clients in a diverse number of legal areas. Even so, three main areas stand apart. Clients turn to us for legal help primarily in these areas, contact our Leesburg and Loudoun County criminal defense attorneys today.
Leesburg Criminal Defense Attorneys
A former prosecuting attorney, who has tried hundreds of bench and jury trials and negotiated thousands of cases, Leesburg lawyer Caleb A. Kershner brings the benefit of his experience to every case he handles. He is at home in state and federal courts and knows what criminal defense strategies can tip the scales of justice in his clients’ favor. Through his intensive criminal law experience and the use of cutting-edge legal tactics, he provides clients with superior defense in felonies, misdemeanors, DUI, traffic violations and reckless driving cases.
When you face arrest and prosecution, having the right lawyer at your side can make a considerable difference in the outcome of your case. Criminal defense attorney Caleb Kershner advises you when not to answer questions that put your case in jeopardy. He understands the prosecution’s motives and its attempts to convict. He can guide you through legal landmines while finding holes in the prosecution’s case. He aggressively defends your rights by employing strategies that create reasonable doubt regarding alleged offenses.
- Leesburg Criminal Defense Attorney
- Leesburg Assault & Battery
- Leesburg Domestic Violence Defense
- Leesburg Drug Crime
- Leesburg Juvenile Offense
- Leesburg DUI & DWI
- Leesburg Federal Crime
- Leesburg Larceny, Theft & Fraud Defense
- Leesburg Weapons Offense
- Leesburg Felony & Misdemeanor
- Leesburg Reckless Driving
- Loudoun Speeding Ticket
- Leesburg Traffic Violation
- Winchester Criminal Defense Attorney
- Winchester Assault & Battery
- Winchester Domestic Violence
- Winchester Drug Crime
- Winchester Drunk Driving
- Winchester DWI & DUI
- Winchester Federal Crime
- Winchester Felonies & Misdemeanor
- Winchester Juvenile Offense
- Winchester Larceny & Fraud
- Winchester Reckless Driving
- Winchester Speeding Tickets
- Winchester Traffic Penalties & Fines
- Winchester Traffic Violation
- Winchester Weapon Crimes
DUI/DWI – Driving under the influence (DUI) and driving while intoxicated (DWI) are criminal charges and you have the right to an attorney for your defense.
- Virginia DUI Defense Attorney – DUI Laws in Virginia – Each state has its own DUI laws and any adult whose blood alcohol content (BAC) tests at .08 and minors testing at .02 or higher can be charged with a DUI in Virginia.
- How a breathalyzer works – Breathalyzers are devices that measure alcohol content but are not foolproof, and DUI lawyers can often challenge the results.
- Penalties of DUI – DUI convictions carry penalties that include jail time, fines, license revocation and, with repeated offenses, the penalties become harsher.
- Leesburg drunk driving – When arrested for drunk driving, if possible, consult with a DUI lawyer about whether to refuse the chemical test and for other guidance to protect your rights.
Traffic violations – Traffic violations can lead to increased insurance premiums and loss of driving privileges.
- Speeding tickets – The greater the miles per hour exceeding the speed limit, the more serious the speeding violation.
- Virginia traffic violations penalties – Traffic violations remain on your driving record, and point accumulations affect insurance rates and can lead to license revocation.
- Expungement – For some charges, you can have your criminal record sealed or destroyed through a process called an expungement.
Leesburg Personal Injury Attorneys
Our legal system offers protection under personal injury law to people who are seriously injured through the negligence or wrongful actions of others. Under Virginia contributory negligence law, you have the right to recover compensation as long as you did not contribute in any way to causing the injury. Car accidents are the most common type of personal injury case and one of our personal injury lawyers can review your accident, gather evidence and identify liable parties to help you recover damages. Without an attorney, injury victims come up against insurance companies that use tactics to deny or delay their claims. By putting a strong advocate on your side, you can level the playing field and receive the compensation you are entitled to by law.
It is vital to seek legal help when someone else is at fault for your injury – especially when you have serious personal injuries such as head trauma or spinal damage. Medical costs can be exorbitant when dealing with a traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury, requiring extensive assistive care and resulting in a lifetime of lost income capacity.
- Leesburg Personal Injury Attorney
- Leesburg Auto Accident
- Leesburg Bicycle Accident
- Leesburg Construction Accident
- Leesburg Dog Bite
- Leesburg Head & Spine Injury
- Leesburg Insurance Bad Faith
- Leesburg Premises Liability
- Leesburg Wrongful Death
Serving Leesburg, Loudoun County and all of Northern Virginia
Conveniently located two blocks from the County Courthouse in Leesburg, Simms Showers LLP represents clients throughout Northern Virginia, including:
- Winchester City
- Clarke County
- Frederick County
- Fairfax County
- Prince William County
- Loudoun County
We handle other matters of law beside criminal defense and personal injury, including:
- Employment Law – Some of the other legal areas in which we offer assistance include contract law and employment law.
- Non-profit law – An experienced business attorney helps clients deal with the legal complexities of forming and running a non-profit organization.
- Business law – From business formation through business transactions, a savvy business lawyer can help businesses avoid liabilities and put legal foundations in place to expand their operations.
- Civil litigation – Our firm represents clients in civil matters in state and federal courts and through alternative dispute resolution techniques such as mediation and arbitration.
The Importance of Retaining a Leesburg Criminal Attorney
We have all seen the movies and TV shows where the police advise a person under arrest of his right to remain silent. Thanks to the U.S. Supreme Court decision in the Miranda case, Americans do have that right, along with the right to consult with an attorney before answering any questions. In real life, it is amazing how many people, after being advised of their rights, ignore them and go right ahead and talk to the police without first talking to a criminal attorney.
If the police are arresting you, or suspect that you might have committed a crime, your freedom and liberty are at stake. When they ask you a question, you need to consider the consequences. Only an attorney experienced in criminal defense can quickly and accurately assess whether it is in your interest to cooperate and answer questions that might incriminate you.
In Northern Virginia and Loudoun County, an attorney who was formerly a prosecutor is best equipped to protect your rights. This is why Simms Showers LLP’s Leesburg criminal defense law firm should be your first phone call when you are arrested or suspected of committing a crime.
Leesburg, Winchester & Loudoun Loudoun County Criminal & Personal Injury FAQs
I have been charged with a crime — what do I do now?
Do not speak to anyone. When the police say you have the right to remain silent, they mean it. You may accidentally incriminate yourself and help the police build a case against you. Instead, contact Simms Showers LLP immediately for a FREE PHONE CONSULTATION on your criminal case.
How serious is my charge of reckless driving?
Very serious. Reckless driving in Virginia is a Class 1 misdemeanor criminal charge. The maximum penalty for this offense is 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine. You need an experienced attorney who has handled thousands of traffic cases.
If I receive a prison sentence, what are the odds I will be paroled?
Non-existent. The Commonwealth of Virginia no longer has parole.
I was injured. Do I need a lawyer?
If your injury was the result of someone else’s negligence, you should consult an attorney.
What should I do after a car accident?
If the accident was your fault, do not say this to anyone at the accident scene. Do not provide any recorded statement to your insurance company or the other driver’s insurance company. Do not plead guilty in court. Contact Simms Showers LLP for an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
How much is my case worth?
There is no standard answer — it depends on the details of your case. Damages are determined by the level of negligence involved.
If the police are questioning me regarding a crime, should I talk to them? No. In the video below, Mr. James Duane, a professor at Regent Law School and a former defense attorney, tells you why you should never agree to be interviewed by the police without a lawyer present. At the end of his presentation, a former law enforcement officer validates his assertions.
Caleb A. Kershner and William B. Mann
Having served as a Commonwealth Attorney in Loudoun County, Caleb A. Kershner established his criminal defense law firm in Leesburg to help people navigate the criminal justice system. Whether you are innocent or guilty, you have the right to be treated fairly. Attorney Caleb A. Kershner has tried hundreds of criminal cases. He knows how the police and prosecutors think. That knowledge and experience in criminal defense can mean the difference between acquittal and conviction, or between probation and incarceration.
Contact the Leesburg, Winchester & Loudoun County Attorneys of Simms Showers LLP today
When asked by law enforcement officers if you want to speak with a lawyer, say yes. It cannot be held against you. In fact, it is often one of the smartest things you can say. Then contact criminal law attorney Caleb A. Kershner at Simms Showers LLP, conveniently located two blocks from the Loudoun County Courthouse. Our criminal defense firm offers a free phone consultation for criminal or personal injury cases. Se habla español. Call Simms Showers LLP for quality legal counsel today at 703-997-7821 or contact us online.