Virginia Non-Profit Attorney
Virginia non-profit organizations have a lot in common with their for-profit counterparts in terms of business needs, but they’re also subject to a range of additional laws and rules. Plus, these entities also have a different set of business goals that are charitable in nature. As such, non-profits benefit from working with legal representation that can offer advice and counsel customized for their unique circumstances.
Our Virginia non-profit attorneys at Simms Showers LLP represent not-for-profits throughout the lifecycle of the organization, from formation and daily operations to tax issues, governance and litigation. Please contact our office to speak with a Virginia non-profit law attorney via a free consultation today.
Benefits of Forming a Non-Profit Business
Federal and Virginia law encourages companies to work for the public good, so there are statutes that reward organizations for doing so. Generally, the entity must be dedicated to religious, charitable, scientific, or educational initiatives to qualify. If eligible, the advantages include:
- A non-profit company may qualify for 501(c)(3) or other exempt status under federal tax laws, shielding the organization from incurring income tax.
- Qualifying contributions and donations are tax-deductible for donors, providing incentive for them to offer financial support to your not-for-profit company.
- Your non-profit may qualify for public and private grants.
- You can file proper documents with the Virginia State Corporation Commission to organize your not-for-profit as a limited liability company. This means stakeholders aren’t held personally accountable for the debts and obligations of the organization. There are some exceptions for misconduct and personal loans, in which an individual may be liable.
Advising Virginia Non-Profits on a Wide Range of Topics
When you’re focused on the business objectives of your not-for-profit company, it can be difficult to also tackle complicated legal issues. You can rely on our team to help with:
Formation: There are different structural options when forming your business, so we can help guide you in forming the type of organization that best suits your needs. Our lawyers will also handle drafting of bylaws, initial resolutions, and documents related to obtaining your 501(c)(3) tax exempt status.
Operations: You must meet certain requirements and compliance issues throughout the lifecycle of your company, so we can work with you on:
- Annual and special meetings;
- Corporate minutes and resolutions;
- Fiduciary duties and conflicts;
- Real estate transactions
- Insurance and risk management; and,
- Many other tasks.
Employment: At least some portion of your workforce will likely be paid employees, so we can help you navigate the complicated state and federal laws regarding employment, wages, and disputes.
Litigation: Our goal is to ensure you avoid legal action entirely, but we will provide essential advice and representation in the event of a lawsuit. We seek appropriate remedies if necessary to protect your interests, but we’re also experienced in defending non-profits in court.
Get Legal Advice from a Virginia Non-Profit Attorney
For more information on how we can assist with your legal needs and support your non-profit organization’s objectives, please contact Simms Showers LLP. We can conduct a free consultation over the phone, so give us a call at 703.879.1364. Our firm maintains six offices in Virginia, so we can serve charitable and philanthropic businesses throughout the state regarding the unique legal issues they face.