Leesburg Felony & Misdemeanor Attorney
Determined representation for serious criminal charges in Loudoun, Winchester and Fairfax, VA
Misdemeanors and felonies are serious crimes. A conviction can cost you a significant portion of your life, stress your family to the breaking point and irreparably damage your career. With so much riding on the outcome of your case, you need the best defense counsel available. At Simms Showers LLP, our Leesburg felony & misdemeanor attorneys have decades of experience from both sides of the aisle: for the prosecution and the defense. This dual perspective allows us to evaluate the case against you and challenge that case on the evidence or any procedural violations. We are determined to uphold your rights to due process and fight for the best possible resolution of your case.
Penalties for felony crimes under the Code of Virginia
Virginia organizes felonies into six classes based on the seriousness of the crime and the severity of the punishment. Class 1 being the most serious:
- Class 1 — Punishable by death or life imprisonment and a fine of up to $100,000
- Class 2 — Imprisonment for 20 years to life and a fine of up to $100,000
- Class 3 — Imprisonment for five to 20 years and a fine of not more than $100,000
- Class 4 — Imprisonment for two to 10 years and a fine of not more than $100,000
- Class 5 — Imprisonment for one to 10 years or a jail term of 12 months or less, and a fine of not more than $2,500
- Class 6 — Imprisonment for one to five years or a jail term of 12 months or less, and a fine of not more than $2,500
The types of crimes classified as felonies include homicide, rape, aggravated assault, drug trafficking and armed robbery. Our criminal defense attorneys have vast experience in felony trials as prosecutors and defense counsel, so we know how to evaluate your situation, construct a robust defense to the charges or negotiate the best resolution possible.
Penalties for misdemeanor offenses under the Code of Virginia
Although misdemeanors are considered lesser offenses, the potential punishments are severe, and can cost you in terms of time and money, while thoroughly disrupting your family life and your career. The Code of Virginia has four categories of misdemeanor offenses:
- Class 1 — Confinement in county jail for up to 12 months and a fine of up to $2,500, either or both
- Class 2 — Confinement in county jail for up to six months and a fine of up to $1,000, either or both
- Class 3 — Maximum fine of $500
- Class 4 — Maximum fine of $250
Misdemeanors include simple assault, theft crimes involving items of lesser value, trespassing, some drug possession charges, reckless driving and DUI. When you need misdemeanor defense counsel or a Winchester, Fairfax or Leesburg DUI lawyer, trust Simms Showers LLP.
Turn to us for effective defense to misdemeanor and felony charges
Our Leesburg felony and misdemeanor attorneys fight felony and misdemeanor charges with passionate determination. Take advantage of a free phone consultation for new clients throughout Northern Virginia. Call Simms Showers LLP today at 703-997-7821 or contact us online. Se habla español.