Fairfax Federal Crime Attorney
If you are facing criminal charges under federal law, it is essential to have an aggressive and experienced Fairfax federal crime attorney who can represent you. While there are certainly similarities between Virginia state and federal law, and the ways in which crimes are charged, federal crimes require attention to specific federal laws and experience handling cases at the federal level. Federal crimes often have very stringent penalties, and a federal criminal record can have long-lasting results and implications. When you have been charged with a federal crime, you should get in touch with a criminal defense attorney at our firm. An advocate at Simms Showers LLP can help.
What Are Federal Crimes in Fairfax, VA?
Whether a criminal offense is charged under state law or federal law depends on a number of different factors. When an offense is charged under state criminal law, the state has jurisdiction. When a crime is charged under federal law. The federal government then has jurisdiction. A large number of crimes that are charged in Fairfax are charged under Virginia state law. However, there are different situations in which a crime ultimately could be a federal offense.
The following are situations in which a criminal offense could be charged under federal law, and the federal government could have jurisdiction over the crime:
- Person accused of the offense is accused of crossing of state lines in the process of committing the crime, such as transporting narcotics from Virginia into North Carolina;
- Offense involves interstate commerce or involves the crossing of state lines in some capacity, such as a fraud crime in which banks in multiple states are used, and victims live in multiple different states;
- Offense occurs on federal property, such as in a federal courthouse; or
- Crime involves federal agents, such as a crime that is being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) or the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
Other offenses can also fall under federal jurisdiction. If you have questions, it is important to speak with an experienced Fairfax federal criminal defense attorney for assistance.
Types of Fairfax Federal Crimes We Handle
At Simms Showers LLP, we handle a wide variety of federal crimes, including but not limited to the following:
- Drug offenses, including possession, trafficking, manufacturing, and conspiracy charges that may arise under the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970, or the Controlled Substances Act;
- Fraud and white collar crime, such as a financial fraud scheme; and
- Weapons offenses, which can include the use and carry of firearms, firearms-related offenses in connection with drug trafficking, and conspiracy offenses.
The Federal Sentencing Guidelines govern penalties for these criminal offenses, as well as other crimes that can be charged under federal law. Many federal crimes have mandatory minimum sentences, and they often include a term of imprisonment.
Contact a Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer in Fairfax
You should not face federal criminal charges on your own. One of the experienced Fairfax federal criminal defense lawyers at our firm can begin developing a defense strategy for your case today. Contact Simms Showers LLP to learn more about the services we provide to Virginians who have been charged with state and federal offenses, as well as those who are seeking assistance with record sealing and expungement.